In these Last Days our responsibility to be witnesses for Jesus Christ grows more important than it perhaps has ever been. We are living in a time when civility, morality, and godliness have been abandoned and are in fact ridiculed. As followers of Christ we must be boldly standing for the Truth of Scripture and Speaking Truth in such a way as to show mankind that Jesus Loves them and desires a relationship with them.
How do we do this?
• First we must be willing to let Christ have complete control over us to the point that we can say as the Apostle Paul did; “For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” Philippians 1:21 Paul understood that by surrendering his will to Christ’s will, he would be used of God to bring others into a relationship with Christ. In Romans 12:1&2 Paul wrote; “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
In order to be Witnesses for Christ we must be willing to let Christ not only use us, but have preeminence in our lives. We must be willing to personally live within His will, turning away from all sin. The allure of the world should not cause us to desire to turn from our calling, because Christ has replaced self in our lives. We must give Him absolute lordship over our desires, thoughts and actions. Daily we must be growing in grace, desiring to be more Christ-like, having the Mind of Christ, in order to accomplish His will for our lives… to be Witnesses.
• Second we must have a Christ-like love for Lost Souls. In Romans 5:8 we read; “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Christ shed His own blood for the Lost, and at one point that included you and I. How much less should we love the lost? 2 Peter 3:9 tells us; “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.” Jesus desires that all men to come to Him, and we should have that same desire.
Too often we tend to turn away from being a Witness because of the way someone looks or acts. My Grandfather, R.H. Marlin, once said: “If we understand and believe that God is the Blessed creator of all things, then we can never see anyone as ugly or unredeemable. Everyone’s Soul is important to Jesus, because He loves us, we must love them.” Jesus Loves the Lost! So must you and I if we are to be effective Witnesses.
• The third thing we must do to be effective Witnesses is to have a working knowledge of the Scriptures. God’s Word is what brings men to Christ, it is the instrument He has provided to us, which He uses to convict sin, reveal Christ, and regenerate a lost Soul. In Romans 1:16 Paul writes; “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.” So, we are told to know and use the Word of God. In 2 Timothy 2:15 we are instructed to; “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” We can only be “rightly dividing” the Word when we are actively studying the Word.
We need to know how to use Scripture to show those who are Lost:
o They need a Savior (Romans 3:10-12; Romans 6:23)
o Jesus is the Savior (John 14:6; Romans 5:8-11)
o They need to accept Jesus as their Savior (Romans 10:9-13, 1 John 5:13)
o That the Savior can meet their needs (Romans 8:1; Hebrews 13:5&6)
o That they can live successful lives In Christ (John 20:31; 2 Corinthians 5:17; 1 John 4:4; Galatians 2:20)
Remember the words of the psalmist, “Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You.” (Psalm 119:11) It is never too late to begin to memorize God’s Word.
• A fourth thing we need to do to be an effective Witness is to have a consistent prayer life. We must Pray for wisdom as we witness, we must Pray for guidance as we witness, we must Pray for the words to speak as we witness, and we should always Pray for a greater desire to be Witnesses. We need to Pray for the Lost, about the Lost, and to see the Lost turn to Christ. We must be warriors for Christ in Prayer!
(Philippians 4:6, Colossians 4:2, James 5:16, 1 John 5:14&15, 1 Thessalonians 5:12-22)
• A fifth thing, is that we must have a heart to serve Christ. A good Witness will have a servant’s heart. This means we are willing to show the lost the same unconditional Love Jesus expresses toward us. We must be willing to meet them where they are, where their need is, however difficult it may be. When we have a servant’s heart as Witnesses, Souls will be saved, lives will be changed, and Christ will be glorified. (1 Peter 4:7-11, Galatians 5:13&14, Colossians 3:23&24)
• The last thing we must do to be Witnesses for Christ, is to know that until He returns to establish His kingdom, He has commanded us to do so. “Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” And He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” Acts 1:6-8
Because of the times in which we live, because we all have family and friends who need the Savior, because the world is filled with lost souls in need of the Savior, because the Rapture of the Church is imminent, because Tribulation will soon envelope the world, because His Second Coming will soon follow; we need, more than ever, to be Witnesses of and for Jesus Christ!
Because He alone is Salvation, because He is the Hope of the Church, because He alone judges the nations, because;
Jesus is Coming Soon!